Thursday, July 21, 2011

To Begin

To consider life is too broad. To consider words is too overwhelming. To consider the relationship between life and words may cause cerebral hemorrhaging. And yet...

I am not a student anymore, and I thought, often, that once I wasn't a student, I would read so much more. This is not the case. Life caught up with me and I forgot about books, about other peoples and my own. I neglected journaling and I certainly avoided the concept of putting that journaling out to the world. But, in an effort to shirk my Luddite tendencies, I suppose I can face this fear. With a great deal of trepidation, but facing it, no less.

I think, though, or rather, it is making me think about the ease that comes with using social media, a Facebook post here, a Tweet there. Things that the world can see if they Google my name (why would they Google my name? I don't know). But this, with anonymity intact as much as I choose, is somehow harder.
Perhaps it is simply that we are social creatures, but being social creatures does not mean that we share our hearts with society. In truth, a protester and I probably get much closer with a sign than I do when I get coffee with a friend.

But such is the power of the written word.

No comments:

Post a Comment